Step into her shoes and walk the life she's living and if you get as far as she, just maybe you will see how strong she really is. Faith is first, her family is her everything and her story is her unique own.

This is a place where the love and stories of our family are shared. We hope you enjoy, and visit again soon...

"A little party never hurt no one... thats why its alright." -Art Deco


Friday, May 17, 2013

My Day, as Sweet as a Nif-Kiss

Mommy needs a vacation... amongst a few other things.  Times have been an accumulated tally of tough lately. I have been adjusting to the dark side of management at work. Every position, every job has an ugly alley and I'm tasting mine in the current moments. I still like it. I developed a back injury I think from trying to keep up with a new fitness instructor prancing around with a bad form and too much stimulant in her system. Let me state that back injuries affect EVERYTHING. I'm stiff and feel trapped with having to constantly think about how I move. I'm slow and it's irritating. I have been a sweet low without my running endorphins. In fact, I was told I couldn't run for a while. I felt like I was breaking up with a good boyfriend, seriously. So I have decided to work out smarter and get back to cycling, then pick up Bikram Yoga for a while. The only positive thing out of this deal was the five pounds I gained to get my badonkadonk back. My children have noticed. The Sergeant ran up to my backside today and acted like he was pounding on the conga drums and Benny remarked how it jiggles... He even goes, "Look Mom!" like it was some sort of show. Those boys of mine have been treading on thin water with Mom. It's creeping towards the end of the school year and they are feeling summer freedom around the corner.

I made the mistake of taking them to the salon recently to get my hair done. I thought it would be okay. After all they were getting theirs done as my new beautiful dark richenend in color. I prepared and brought homework and books to keep the two occupied. I even separated them in the hall. Benny forgot his AR book at school and brought a preschool level reader in place, which didn't fly by me too smoothly. Benny kept running down the hall touching and teasing his brother, shouting out "No" to me as I sat helplessly in the salon chair. He even called me a monster when I declared his punishments as I chased him in my cap when I was loose. As if that and the stylist's looks he gave me while my naughty acting children continued on wasn't enough, I was hit with a doozy before walking out. I approached my son Stink, who is one of the most well behaved and self disciplined children I have ever met. And there it was... he had over-doodled in pencil the words "Poop and Pee" on the salon sofa. I was pissed. Mortified. Mostly... disappointed. He had to confess to the stylist what had happened and I walked out with my dark head a little lower than the height it was entering. My boys were silent on the ride back. Benny went straight to his room reading a real chapter book when we arrived home. I cried a little out of disappointment while my Sergeant became patchy and held back tears of his own watching me. I marched S. Stink back up to the salon with a bucket of water, soap and a rag. He scrubbed with a happy little heart until the marks were gone. I get it- not a place for any kid during any lengthy period of time no matter what materials are brought. Lesson engraved.

Times are now better, will be best after vacation, and today was yet another magical Mother's Day. Saturday I let my heart rate and body run loose in the midst of my workout without fear of injuring something. Sure sign I am feeling better. My boys told me that they have surprises and that I couldn't come out of my room on Mother's Day morning until they said so...

I awoke, before my muffins and just as I thought I was going to have to run the show this morning the boys got up and whipped out a carb-loaded breakfast for mom... in bed. They drizzled the waffles in syrup and me in their love with kisses, a poem, mommy coupons, and earrings. I knew a sappy poem was coming because as I was putting curls in my hair when Stink yells through the door, "How do you spell violets mom?!" I joked with my two handsome men that they need to do this every morning because they actually had breakfast done quicker than me. Their secret: freezer ready foods. My breakfast was delicious only because it was made with true love. What really snagged me is that they put on cologne before their presentation... I so love those two.

I shooed them into the big church service with me. Benny always compares my hands to his during this time... they are getting closer in size and before I know it his mittens will be bigger than mine. I massaged those little hands of my boys while I still can and soaked in the Mother's Day message. Every so often I would lean over to give them what I call a nif-kiss. It's where I smell their sweet scent as I simultaneously give a little kiss. Benny's prime spot is right on top of his head... The Sergeant's is right by his left ear. As we left Benny opened the car door for me... he did this all day. I taught my boys to open doors for people especially women. He got it, and I didn't even have to ask today. We had a delightful picnic after church at the school park and played back-stop together. I finished my book under a shady tree in the breeze. Scarlet puked up a sandwich and got ants on her nose from getting into things we had thrown for the birds. We got home tired and I wanted to go to the movies... but instead got an even brighter idea to put on a movie at home. We all piled into my bed for snuggles and sprawling you can't get in theatre chairs. I still worked in motherly duties even on a day such as this... dishes, laundry, school project.

I told my boys that I don't ever mind doing these things, but please just let me know I'm appreciated especially today and every so often. Which, I am. I went to mow the lawn and Stink stopped me, told me it didn't really need to be done. I think the boys were ready for our next adventure. I listened to my dear son and we came in from swimming so the muffins could put together their Annual Mother's Day Pizza. Mom loves her pizza. This year the kids wanted to try and replicate my BBQ Chicken Pizza. I set them up for success... just as any mother should for her kids in any situation. Help your babies with the things you know they could struggle with and encouragement in all the rest. The day before I chopped the cilantro, sliced the onion, grated the cheese and marinated the diced chicken. All ready to go for them... my Sergeant actually helped and declared his delight in this creation. Big difference from last year.

It came out delicious.

Just before I had to take them to their Dad's they wanted to make Sundae's for dessert. The ice-cream wasn't quite thawed enough just yet and they had a hard time getting scoops out of the carton. My nails were drying from my freshly applied polish so my assistance wasn't an option. I could feel their end of laborious day frustration at this point just as I sometimes get. I threw in a couple of tailored requests for my dish as my son hurried in his makings and gave me the eye. As I kissed them bye, it was a good heartfelt one with remarks of how nice our today was. It really was. No where else I would want to be other than home... with my family. Where our love and comfort rest, and sweet memories are made.

I came back home and saw that my baby forgot to put his pillow away and there it was, still on my bed. I already missed them. So I smelled it, clenched it and slept with my head on it... all night.


 

2 comments:

Kristen said...

The tough stuff makes the sweet stuff that much sweeter. I love the genuine way you write....like I can feel your emotion. It's a real talent.

And...about work....roll with it...we are women. We are mothers. We learn and adapt like no other. You've got this.

Ms. Carlson said...

Thank you Ten... my sweet red velvet cupcake! Your right, adaptation is at the center of motherly women AND we all know that time is perfect medicine to many things. We usually pick up some beautiful lessons along the way.