Step into her shoes and walk the life she's living and if you get as far as she, just maybe you will see how strong she really is. Faith is first, her family is her everything and her story is her unique own.

This is a place where the love and stories of our family are shared. We hope you enjoy, and visit again soon...

"A little party never hurt no one... thats why its alright." -Art Deco


Sunday, January 8, 2012

Mrs. Tisk Task

I have never, ever made a New Year Resolution... seriously, that I can think of. I'm either already working on something or content with what I'm doing at the moment. A different year doesn't spark the change that should already be there for me if I need to work on something. I did however read an article in the paper on December 28th that caught my attention. So the timing was right that I can slap a "New Year Resolution" label on it.


The article (my resolution): STOP MULTITASKING


I do it. I do it very well. I'm a mom- a single one that works around inconsistency for the sake of my children. My week is always different and I have the same high number of tasks to squeeze in... it's an artsy juggle really. Being here then there and scheduling everything around that and in between. Then I go to work where multitasking is the name of the game with some smarts plus heart and soul. My mornings at work as a Nurse are never the same and neither is the rest of the day. It can be anywhere from humbling to peaceful to busy to hellaciously insane... but it's usually all of them in an order that is as unique as each day. I can count on having to pass and push around 30 different medications throughout the day, get a couple people off to testing, handle some whacked lab values, deal with a blood pressure, hold a hand, clean a couple of big messes (or maybe just one on a good day), talk to all the therapy department personnel, collaberate with some doctor, wipe a tear, answer 20 phone calls throughout the day, deal with a psych episode, listen, chart... all the while constantly talking to someone on my vocera. I'm sure I forgot a ton in that previous sentence. Point is, I do too much. I know how to really cram things in by the second, and I do. Give this girl 5 minutes and boatload of things to do... and I will get them done in 2. The lesson is being good at something doesn't always mean it's good for you.


In the article: STOP MULTITASKING it says "to improve the quality of your life and work". It is very true. We are in a world where we are checking email, eating a meal, and talking on the phone while the TV is on. It's too much. And how could we ever fully pay attention to any one of those things with all the others going on? We can't, and we miss things or don't give credit like we should.


I told my kids one morning to get their seat belts on. I was throwing backpacks and lunches together, cleaning up and putting away dishes as well as get my own self ready to head out the door at the time. My son stops, he looks at me oddly and says, "Mom, were not in the car!!" We weren't, we were in the kitchen still and what I meant to say was... "get your jackets on". We had a good laugh, but I sure didn't like it deep inside.


Time to slow down. I can see meaning start to gradually slip away in some things. I'm going to catch it while I see it, because it's important to me. One of my favorite things to say and live by: Everything in MODERATION. I will never get away from multitasking at work, and that is okay with me. I'm good at it and I need to express my gift somewhere, in something that I love. I will have some as a mom inevitably as well. But home is where that pace takes a change.


PS... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!


Cheers to 2012 ;)

0 comments: