Step into her shoes and walk the life she's living and if you get as far as she, just maybe you will see how strong she really is. Faith is first, her family is her everything and her story is her unique own.

This is a place where the love and stories of our family are shared. We hope you enjoy, and visit again soon...

"A little party never hurt no one... thats why its alright." -Art Deco


Saturday, September 10, 2011

Break... Challenge... Memories

We weren't planning on another trip this year but I personally needed a short get-away at this moment in time, the boys could always use one, and this was an incredible opportunity and something Stink really wanted... and I wanted that for him. After all there is no way I would want us or I to miss out on the Sergeant's first out of state soccer tournament.







Family Traveling: Mom's number one challenge as a single parent so far. I have been mastering yard work and the laundry is always kept up with. There's not much else I ever had help with so the unachievable isn't a distant thing to me. It shouldn't ever be anyway... you can do it, whatever it is I've learned. But yes, this parenting job was certainly meant for two- it has it's hard moments for two, and double hard moments for one. I'm happily rid of a few things so in some ways it's a whole lot easier. Though these trips can be a lot of work for me, the prize is worth it all. In three days I squeezed in the exercising, manicure, cleaning, shopping and packing plus worked 10-13 hour shifts <------ Exhausting. Prize-time.



So off to gorgeous La Jolla, California where S. Stinks tournament took place... a beautiful place! We added it to our collection of favorite beach cities along with Carlsbad and Del Mar after our 5 day experience. I get in a different moment when the windows are rolled down and it hits you when your there- that moist fresh air with a hint of sea salt. It flows through Benny's cotton (his hair) making dewey locks concentrated with his baby smells... makes me crazy. He just wears it with a jolly, teasing smile knowing I want to tackle him with my kisses. I wish my hair had that effect in the humidity, not so... at all.
Now for the soccer, sweet soccer. The fields were soft, the air was cool, and the attitude was right. My Sergeant was ready to take on these Californians with his team. Being out of state sparks a little fire in him I see.



They won the first game, not without a whiny fight from the opponents though. Our coach got thrown out when California realized we were going to win and a couple of yellow cards got thrown in... one of them on Stink. The second game was loss for us, but we got to explore La Jolla Shores and experience the greatest pizza at this dive pizza parlor run by only one guy. So I say it wasn't really a loss. The next day's game score was a tie. A win, a lose and a tie... not so bad. The team played absolutely phenomenal though. They looked great and it was fun to watch. The Sergeant stated he doesn't like how California kids play... and I will agree it's different... but what a great experience for him and all of those boys.

There was only a couple of disappointing things, one of them being Coldplay's newest full album I was excited to listen to on the trip... and the other being some dear children of mine who took advantage of a napping mommy. That second one caused a night in that could have been a great night out in our beautiful new place we were visiting. Challenges. Lesson's learned.

We had a late night filled with the best nachos shared and a cheesy San Diego ghost tour.
I decided to stay an extra day for a full, relaxing run of the beach for just our family. We set up our spot and it rained. The boys hardly knew it, but I surely felt it in my little bikini. We got two hours of sunshine that we took total advantage of (very, very nice). We had to take advantage of the rest the weather brought too of course (just nice). Stink decided to teach a buddy he met how to skim board. Benny was out at sea... diving into the waves as he just loves to do and did for hours.





Some friends recommended surf lessons from a nearby surf instructor that the boys were totally all over. It's been something they have wanted to do for the last couple beach trips, so on our way home I decided to make a stop for the lessons. Just when I thought I was improving on my geography I was reminded of how pathetic my sense of direction is on the road. We got there, and like I wrote: the work is worth the prize. My prize was seeing their little muffin butts in wetsuits- made me get my pincher's out. ***More to come on this surf topic***

La Jolla: Thank you for this break that I really-really needed, challenge my dear son will never forget, and more memories we made. See you soon. Love, Nens

0 comments: