Step into her shoes and walk the life she's living and if you get as far as she, just maybe you will see how strong she really is. Faith is first, her family is her everything and her story is her unique own.

This is a place where the love and stories of our family are shared. We hope you enjoy, and visit again soon...

"A little party never hurt no one... thats why its alright." -Art Deco


Sunday, January 30, 2011

Happy AnniNursary!!

For every year as a Nurse, an exclamation point is earned at the end of my blog title. That exclamation means way more than it's look. Today sparked my typing in joules... really. I had the excitement of doing an electric cardioversion for one of my little "Fibbers". The patient was a special A. Fibber, I won't forget. She made me just a hair nervous too. I had built up repore with her for a few days leading up to this. She was not only in the medical field but had a strong desire to set me up with her son so I was her next daughter-in-law... (chuckle, chuckle) no pressure. She knew what she wanted and was ready to get out of this exhausting rhythm... plus voiced she was comfortable to have me for this elective procedure. Did I mention the pressure? In my head, the head that has never done this comes all the thoughts of "what if". The nurse "what if" that makes you prepared in your mind... brings me back to school... which is a great feeling. Learning, love it. I had the typical unit nursing dose this AM. A patient vomiting and having diarrhea from hyperkalemia, a patient needing preparation and a sedative for MRI, and a patient needing cardioversion... all. at. once. Hmmm. That's when my comfort and team-work comes in! "Let me get you through your nausea and ___, buddy please help me, and Doctor I will be right there." Sweet prioritizing words. Next thing I know I'm pushing sedatives and delivering shock. Sick and nerve racking fun, but I prayed and knew she was going to be okay. The patient was, procedure went great and a discharge was hours away. Another story of wonderful bonding and continuous learning in medicine.

A seasoned Nurse told me once on the night shift, " You learn so much in Nursing, about the body and about life." True. That's been the year. Compared to where I started, I've grown more than ever in Nursing. I switched to the day-shift and carried that Seasoned Nurse's advice with me in the back of my mind. Learning a tid bit about the system working the patient's and the patient's working the system. It's an intimate and sobering profession... and everyone is special to me. You start to learn what's really important in life, and how thankful not only you are... but others. Then there comes the ignorance with the people you see who take things for granted.

Then there comes my new side-job in cosmetic surgery. It's my fave fling right now. I love women and their desire for self-enhancement, for self purpose. I'm working for the same Doc who helped bring that out in me. One of the best "things" I did for myself!! Now I'm right there helping those... love it. The Doctor I work for is just as amazing as his work. It may seem superficial to some, but it's not, not to me. I'm really enjoying the surgical soul of Nursing and still in the learning. I hope to see more and who knows where the road takes me.

This profession is a confirmed calling for me. I can't wait to learn more... bring on the exclamation points. (Lots Please.) :)

Love,
Nurse Nenny

1 comments:

Kristen said...

Don't forget that in this last year you became a most fantabulous preceptor!!! You gave me many of those "seasoned nurse" jewels and I will NEVER forget you as I earn MY exclamation marks! :)