Step into her shoes and walk the life she's living and if you get as far as she, just maybe you will see how strong she really is. Faith is first, her family is her everything and her story is her unique own.

This is a place where the love and stories of our family are shared. We hope you enjoy, and visit again soon...

"A little party never hurt no one... thats why its alright." -Art Deco


Thursday, February 21, 2013

Love is in the Bear Hair

Valentine's Day 2013 was right around the corner and I had two men after me this year... the lucky girl I am. I didn't have my loves on the very day, but that didn't stop me from making it as special as I could. The boys and I were in the store one day picking some random things up when they spotted the holiday aisle that was full of pink, red, sweets, hearts and big huge stuffies. The boys love their stuffed animals and the bigger they are, the bigger their eyes become for them. I had to get not one but two... and later as a surprise, for them. My wheels started turning to figure out how to make this just right.

I decided to dress these big bears that were about the size of my sons in little gifts. Most were practical. I determined that in light of what I found folding the laundry one day:

I put 5-10 pairs of boxer briefs on each bear butt, and then padded them with new socks. One wore a church shirt and the other some uniform shirts... and both were over a few under shirts. The back side's were also packed with Valentine Chocolates. In place of the heart, I stuffed a box of the classic heart shaped candies with messages on them. I topped it with a sappy card from mom and a huge mylar balloon scribbled with love graffiti... tied to each paw.

The presents were only half of the scheme, the other piece was the presentation... just as important. I wanted something fun. They had no idea what was coming, especially because it wasn't quite Valentines Day yet. I kept the dressed up giants crammed in a closet until it was time.

The boys were playing like boys should be... out in the sunshine, grass and on playground equipment with others. I picked them up and Scarlet ran to fetch them. Before they got in the car I whipped out blindfolds and tied them tightly on each head as I watched their little faces smile trying to see what Mom was up to. We drove home and when they finally found their ways through the door they had to find their surprises. They needed to locate them using the verbal hot/cold hints around the house. I know Benny peeked because he was looking up and through any bit of the blindfold... and mysteriously drifted right to where his bear sat. Pickle.

They absolutely loved them, and the process of getting them. Taking all of those boxer briefs off of the firm bear butts slowed them down a smidgen. Once it was down to bear and all bear hair they were snuggled, played with and named. The Sergeant named his Kevin. Benny named his Calvin. Calvin and Kevin have since joined us for dinner... and breakfast. I hopped in the car one day and the boys had belted them in to take along with. They have brightened their rooms, complimented the beds that are made and taken up half of the couch. Mostly though, they have made snuggles over our end of the day talks and prayers much warmer... my favorite perk. I think theirs too.

Happy Valentines Day

Love,
Mama Bear

0 comments: